Comfort Food, Comfort Care
Food connects and comforts people. It nourishes at the beginning of life and at the end of life. The experience of cooking and eating healthy, flavorsome food both develop and bring back special memories. Learning about food, talking about food, enjoying food with loved ones is one way to Live Life to the Fullest.
In 2011, Hospice of the West developed a program to provide the community with education focused on healthy, safe, tasty and smart eating for patients, family members, caregivers and healthcare professionals involved in end-of-life care.
Topics and demonstrations facilitated by Hospice of the West’s Chef, registered dietician and other experts range from:
- Foods to Boost Brain Health based off of Dr. Marwan Sabbagh’s “The Alzheimer’s Prevention Cookbook”
- Eating Well on a Budget
- Nutrition for the Older Adult
- Caring for Someone with a Swallowing Disorder
- Nutrition for Heart Health
- Fun, finger-friendly nutritious and delicious foods